<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 28, 2004

My outlook at the world of Sport 

Cricket quite rightly has been in the limelight in recent times and it is with that that I will start.
Nasser Hussains retirement came as a shock to me. I, like the rest of the country expected him to go on to play in his 100th test and certainly would have been happy to keep him in the team. Never mind. The memory of his inspired 207 against Australia at Edgbaston in 1997 (when I was 10 years old) still remains. One of the best innings I have seen along with Chris Cairns innings of 82 from 47 balls in New Zealands first innings. It probably wasn't the best ever but to get that in that short length of time was impressive.
Michael Vaughan has now passed his fitness test and will join the England squad on Monday. He quite clearly is the best batsman England have at this moment in time, his fabulous 2002 in which he was top test batsman anywhere springs to mind. However, as captain he has a lot of pressure and to relieve the pressure I would put him lower down the order. Robert Key is also having an amazing period for his county which gives me my chance to get rid of either Trescothick or Butcher. In my opinion the team and batting order should be.
1. Strauss
2. Trescothick
3. Vaughan
4. Thorpe
5. Key
6. Flintoff (absolute legend)
7. Jones
8. Clarke
9. Jones
10. Harmison
11. Anderson
I guess thats pretty much the same as Thoms team but there we go. Interesting to note that New Zealands bowler (Chris?) Martin takes over three wickets per run he scores. Now there is a rubbish batter or a good bowler(quite possibly the former)
Now onto Tennis. It may suprise you that Henman (our only hope ever in Tennis for a long time past and for a while to come) is ranked 7th or 9th in the world whichever thing you want to choose. He is making strides in the French Open, reaching the 4th round for the first time ever where he is seeded 9th. The players who are seeded higher than him and have fallen are Andre Aggasi (6), Andy Roddick (2), Juan Carlos Ferrero (4) and Rainer Schuettler (7). 10 of the top 16 seeds have been knocked out or have withdrawn so we see a chance. Sebastien Grojean the silly little Frenchman who beat Henman at Wimbledon last year is out too, something all of us can be happy about - a Frenchman not doing well in a sport. Lets not forget that Henman did not too long ago storm past Roddick and Federer to reach some kind of a final. Thats pretty good going. Oh well, lets not get our hopes up.
I also have got tickets for the first thursday at Wimbledon on court number 1. Hope none of you are jealous...
Football, taking a back seat. I watched the champions league final and was very impressed with Deco and the altogether togetherness of the Porto team... Thats it for that.
Just before I close out a long post I will tell you that I feel an improvement in my golf coming on with 3 300 yard drives in a row!!!
Goodbye
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?