<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 30, 2004

What's in a name? 

Seeing as this "Blogspot does not have the ability to allow others to communicate to me I will have to answer my own question.
As I poked my angelic head (:-)) into this world my parents, on realizing that I was a boy named me James Peter. With my fathers surname being "Leverton" I became officially known as "James Peter Leverton".
Without claiming to have the greatest name in the history of great names I can say that I am quite content.
James means supplanter but in this twisted and weird world I have reason to be content. I am always told opposites attract and if so then I am the perfect match for my name. Another reason for me to make this judgement is the way people (especially politicians) say one thing and do the complete opposite. So my name suggests one thing and my character another. Supplanter literally means "one who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another" so I'll let you judge my character on the basis that I am totally the opposite to that description.
Peter means "The Rock" as it is in the bible so stated. Ok, here I have a confession, at the moment I am not really a rock more bordering on a "pebble" but come on that's a start surely. I don't have much more to say about that for my middle name is often a neglected part of my life.
Leverton means "from the rush farm" and there a couple of reasons why that is appropriate to me. I would say on a rush farm you have to be pretty hard working and if any word apart from "dude" summed me up it would be hard working. I guess hard working is two words but it sums me up in a nutshell (here we go again).
So all that leads me on to the way I am named. My parents call me James or Jim and I am perfectly happy with that. People on camp call me something like that or even turn to calling me "Jimmy Riddle". This is always taken in good humour. People from church name me James or jimbob again I am at complete ease with that.
But why do people from school call me "Lev". I have grown used to that but on consideration I think I was named James for a reason and Lev does not have quite the same ring to it. In fact... The meaning of the name Lev is "Heart". Now that would be fine if Lev sounded cool but it doesn't and now it rolls of the pupils tongue like a malteaser when your mouth is open and your tongue hanging out like a dogs... The rating for the name on http://www.baby-names-world.com/profile.php?seostats=1&name=Lev was 2/5. That is a shocker. Incidently, the name James was rated 5/5 and Peter rated 4/5 so why choose "Lev".
In any case rant over and I will adieu for now. Talk soon o you faithful crew...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?